Pickin' on the Square
Historic Downtown Franklin, NC comes alive Saturday nights from late spring through fall with Pickin' on the Square. This free event is a favorite of visitors and locals alike.
For 2013, Pickin' on the Square takes place on the Franklin Town Hall grounds and provides hours of great entertainment each week the whole family will enjoy.
Guest performers have included some of the finest bluegrass musicians in the region and even the Army Rock Band. There are different performers each week from world class clogging teams and mountain musicians to country, pop, and gospel music performances.
You can even get in on the fun by coming a bit early and showing off your talents during "open mic" time at 6:30 p.m. The main event gets underway each week around
Come early, do some shopping, take in one Franklin's fine eateries or get a snack from one of the many street vendors. Oh, and be sure to bring a lawn chair with you.
Pickin' on the Square runs Mid-May through late October every Saturday night.
Events Calendar 2013
- Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts - Franklin, NC's 1,500 seat state-of-the-art facility presents the finest in performing arts and entertainment. Visit their website for the complete schedule and tickets - www.greatmountainmusic.com.
- March 29 & 30 - April Fool's Trail Days & Hiker Bash - Come to Historic Downtown Franklin, North Carolina as we celebrate our love and passion for the Appalachian Trail. For information call (828) 524-2516.
- May 10 to 12 - 12th Annual Mother's Day Gemboree - Gem & mineral show featuring fine jewelry, rough & cut gems, minerals, supplies and more. Call 866-372-5546 for additional information. Macon County Community Building, U.S. 441 South.
- May 11 – “Airing of the Quilts” - Mothers Day weekend
Springtime meant that it was time for Spring cleaning and the "Airing of the Quilts" and other bed linens. Downtown Franklin will be alive with quilts and have a special celebration from 10-4.
- June 13 to 16 – Taste of Scotland Weekend / Back for 2013!
Back for 2013, this celebration of the area's Scottish heritage features an amazing line up of activities. Enjoy Fun, Food, Fashion, Music, Dancers, Games, Clans, Border Collie Demonstrations, Crafters, Contiunous Entertainment and Culture for the whole family!
- July 4 - 4th of July Parade & Events in Historic Downtown Franklin featuring the Western North Caorlina Wagon Train! 9:30 am until 1 pm. Pet Parade & Contest, Free Watermelon and more! Parade begins at 10:00 am. - TO BE HELD AS SCHEDULED
- July 6 - Fireworks in the Park - Due to the inclement weather in the forecast for July 4th, all festivities planned at the Macon County Recreation Park have been moved to Saturday, July 6th. U.S. 441 South of Franklin.
- July 6 - Sweet Corn Festival - St. Cyprian's Church, 216 Roller Mill Road, Franklin, NC - FREE Admission, Lots of Great Food, Hours of wonderful Entertainment, Handmade Arts & Crafts, Fun & Games for children, Face Painting, Best Silent Auction ever ... and lots of Sweet Corn!
- July 20 – 10th Annual Franklin Folk Festival - A celebration of Appalachian heritage in Downtown Franklin. Over 40 living exhibits of authentic mountain living, food, entertainment and more. Call 828-524-2516 ext. 304 for details.
- July 25 to 28 - 48th Annual Macon County Gemboree - One of the oldest gem & mineral shows in the Southeast featuring fine jewelry, rough & cut gems, minerals, supplies and more. Call 866-372-5546 for additional information. Macon County Community Building, U.S. 441 South.
- August 9 & 10 - 5th Annual Mountain High BBQ Festival & Car Show - This two-day event is an Official NC State Championship and features authentic, mouth-watering BBQ, live entertainment, a car show, crafters and a tastin’ tent. Call 866-372-5546 for additional information. Wayne Proffitt Agricultural Center U.S. 441 South.
- September 11 to 14 - 60th Annual Macon County Fair - One of the few, true agricultural fairs in the United States celebrates its Diamond Jubilee in 2013. Held at the Wayne Proffitt Agricultural Center just south of Franklin, NC on U.S. 441.
- October 25 & 26 - 17th Annual Pumpkin Fest
- October 25 - Hayrides from Shops at River Walk from 3pm - 6pm, After School treats for the kids from 3pm - 5pm.
- October 26 - Street festival along Main Street with crafters, Famous Pumpkin Roll, Live Music all day, Pie Eating Contest, Games, Costume Contest and Parade along with Food. 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Call 828-524-2516 for more information. Come join the festivities.
- October 25 to 27 - 24th Annual Leaf Lookers Gemboree - The mountains are ablaze with more than fall color with this gem & mineral show featuring fine jewelry, rough & cut gems, minerals, supplies and more. Call 866-372-5546 for additional information. Macon County Community Building, U.S. 441 South.
- November 11 - Veteran's Parade - Downtown Franklin 11 AM. Contact 828-524-2516 for more information.
- November 29 - Annual Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony and Candlelight Service on the Square in Downtown
&music. Contact 828-524-2516.
- November 30 - Cookies with Santa - 10am to 1pm - Franklin Town Hall - Bring your kids to this free event to meet Santa and have cookies. Letters to Santa can also be written.
- December 6 & 13 - Winter Wonderland - Franklin's Holiday Festival - Historic downtown Franklin will be changed into a Winter Wonderland. The event will be one night only from 5:00 to 9:00 PM. Live music, Santa Claus, wagon rides. Contact 828-524-2516 for more information.